Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPK) can be tricky little buggers. All across Kindara I’ve heard that OPK don’t work for all women, so (after much OCD trial and error) I have some tips on how to make them work for you.
First of all, these are the OPK I’m currently using:
Feel free to use whichever brands work best for you. I’m sure my instructions will work across brands.
Let’s pretend it’s morning in TTC Land.
- First of all if you’re using the Clear Blues take out the instruction pack. Next, throw that shit straight in the trash. That’s right, you heard me. GARBAGE. Clear Blue says to use FMU (first morning urine). That’s ridonkulous. FMU just causes me more stress and has never yielded a positive OPK.
- Alright go eat breakfast. Drink enough but don’t drink too much. I’ve found two glasses of grapefruit juice (which I’m sure you know can help EWCM) to be a good deal.
- Wait two or more hours. DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING. You heard me. (Now you see why I said don’t overdo it on the breakfast drinks.) It might be helpful to watch some TV or do some other vegetative activity. Or just be so busy at work that you forget to pee. (It happens to me.)
- Pee in a cup. You should notice your urine to be a deep golden color like the bodice of Belle’s gown in Beauty and the Beast.
(She’s smiling because you’re about to get a positive OPK.)
- Now for the cheapo OPK I found the dip in cup method works best, but for the Clear Blues I find they work best if I pour a little urine onto the stick over the toilet. Don’t ask me why this is. That’s just my weird experience.
- Repeat this process until you have confirmed ovulation via your OPK.
Note: I don’t know how well this will work for those who are anovulatory or who have PCOS, but if you know you’re ovulating (via a clear temp shift) and still not getting positive OPK give this method a try.
Here are pictures of my positives taken back to back:
On this same day I tested with Clear Blue using my FMU and got a negative result (a blank circle). These two tests were taken later that day at about 1PM after three hours of not drinking anything.
Finally, I know that you’re not supposed to dehydrate yourself especially whilst TTC. I look at it this way. It’s only two hours and you can hit the liquids hard after. Also, it might be best not to take the tests nearing the time you plan to get hot and heavy.
I hope this works for you wonderful ladies out there. Good luck!